It has become a requirement for employees of a company to fill timesheets. By doing so, supervisors and HR professionals can track how much activities have been conducted by an employee and how time they have invested in a particular activity. Based on which both HR professionals and supervisors can form an analysis regarding an employee's performance and decide whether what sort of activities need to be added or what sort of activities need to be removed. With OrangeHRM employees can create and submit timesheets with ease. Also, admin users and supervisors can view and edit the timesheets of an employee. However, a normal ESS User can only enter his / her timesheet details.
Note: By default, weekly timesheets are available in the system. However, timesheets can be configured to bi-weekly and monthly from the backend.
To access this feature go to: Time ->Timesheets ->My Timesheets. The following screens appear based on how the timesheet has been configured (weekly, monthly, bi-weekly).
Step 1: Click 'Add Activity' (this option is available under each day of the timesheet) button to add timesheet details.
Step 2: Upon clicking the 'Add Activity' button the following details appear :
- 'Project' (optional. Name of the project. Common activities does not have projects specified)
- 'Activity' (Name of the activity. The user can select from the dropdown)
- From Time (The time the work started)
- To Time (The time the work ended)
- Comment (Optional. The user can )
*Time spent on the activity entered is calculated based on From and To times.
*Only the active projects and related activities will be available in the drop-down to select.
*Alternatively, the user can select a common activity that stands alone without a project to log time. Logged time would be tracked under the 'common activity' but not under any project.
*The user can also select a project of his /her preference, in front of the common activity and log time if required. Then, that time would be logged to the project selected for that particular chosen common activity.
*Refer to the Common Activities article for more information.
Step 3: Add the time spent on each activity under each day in hours. 90 minutes should be entered as 1.5. Repeat steps 2 – 3 until all the required data is entered.
Step 4: Click on the icon to add comments for the preferred activity (optional).
Step 5: Click 'Save' after entering the comment.
- The user cannot create timesheets for future weeks.
- To change between different weeks, click and select the preferred week which needs to be changed.
- this field shows the staus of the time sheet as 'Submitted' or 'Not Submitted'. Non working days such as holidays, weekends and the potential employee leaves are marked in grey.
- To remove a row relating to an activity for a specific day , click the button.
- Click 'Submit' button once when the timesheet for a week / bi- weekly / month has been completed. Notifications can be configured and subscribed for Approval, Rejection and Submission of Timesheets. Reminder notifications for those actions can also be set and subscribed. Refer the following to get an idea as to how notifications and reminder notifications can be configured :
Overlapping Times in Activities
The timesheet in detail view does not allow an overlapping time period of different activities for a day. As a result, the system displays a message highlighting the overlapping period when it detects it as illustrated below.
Copying already selected project and activity
Clicking on the icon duplicates an activity, therefore, it is easy for entering another activity that was carried out. The image below illustrates this.
When the timesheet is filled for a day, the total of the time registered is displayed only if the project has been entered. Also, the total time is not shown if the activity is chosen as a 'break' of any sorts.
Refer the following :