The 9 Box Matrix, an extension to the talent bench review which is one of the most commonly used tools in succession planning and employee development. The 9 Box Matrix, which plots employee performance against potential, is a valuable talent review tool for HR practitioners and for managers across all levels.
Working collaboratively, managers arrange every employee into one of nine types across a vertical and horizontal axis, based on three levels of performance and three of potential. Some organizations vary the lower axis and, for example, use performance and engagement rather than performance as the axis.
The benefits of using a 9-box Metrix include:
- Grouped high-performing and high-potential employees who develop to assume greater responsibility in a particular area.
- Allows for easy assessment of leaders on two key dimensions - performance and potential
- Provides a catalyst for robust dialog among senior leaders
- Creates a shared sense of ownership for an organization's talent pool
- Diagnoses development needs and eases the transition to development planning
Review the following article for how to configure 9 Box Matrix
You can navigate to 9 Box Matrix from, Succession & Development - > 9 Box Matrix
The potential Assessment section is only shown on the reviews of the evaluators who are the final rating source
Step 1 - Once the main evaluator completes the appraisal by submitting the final rating fora particular appraisal, it is shown under the 9 box matrix grid as follows.
How the calculation works
- If the final rating source is an evaluator type that has multiple evaluators for the review (e.g. Supervisor, Subordinate, or Peer), the average of their ratings is considered for allocating a Performance Category.
- When the appraisal is submitted by the first evaluator the final rating is calculated based on his rating. So, the performance category, potential category, and 9-box category are also calculated and assigned for the appraisal.
- When the second evaluator submits his review, the final rating is recalculated by taking the average of the review ratings from both evaluators. At that time the performance category, potential category, and 9 box categories are reallocated for the appraisal.
- The potential category is reallocated by getting the average of the answer rating values given for the potential question by the evaluators (of the defined type - for final rating) who have submitted reviews.
- If the average is a decimal value, it is rounded to the nearest integer to select the matching category.
Step 2 - The following information is shown per employee by default on the list in the 9 Box Grid when the user clicks the "1 employee(s)" as per the given example above,
- Employee Profile Details
- Performance Rating
- Potential Rating
Filter 9 Box Matrix By
Step 3 - You can filter the employee details by clicking the button on the top right corner of the screen
Step 4 – Use the available fields to narrow your search or to filter your result.
|Matrix Period From||Search by the period|
|Matrix Period To||Search by the period|
|Sub Unit||Search by the Sub Unit|
|Location||Search by the Location|
|Job Title||Search by the Title|
|Include||Search by the current/past employees|
|Supervisor||Search by the Supervisor|
|Employee Name||Search by the Employee Name|
Step 5 – Click ‘Search’ once the selection criteria are set. The result based on the filtering criteria appears as follows.